While search engine optimization has been around since 1997, it’s never too late to adopt one or two of the best practices into your plan for the upcoming year. Below you’ll see some of the easy SEO tactics to try, the more technical or less thought of strategies to implement, and how to use Marketpath CMS to make your content the best it can be.
Disclaimer: Yes, I’m going to say write more content. That’s one of the best ways to improve page rankings. Start by adding 1 more blog post monthly. If your site features project galleries, case studies, or client testimonials, aim to add one per quarter. Just be sure to be realistic with your goal.
Easy SEO Tactics
Be An Expert - Google values “Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness (E-A-T).” By creating new blog posts about your company, industry, or customers, you signal search engines that you and your company are experts, authoritative, and reliable.
- Be Transparent - As part of E-A-T, Google also evaluates your site for transparency. The following items are listed as indicators Google uses. Start by performing a site audit and add anything that might be lacking to your plan.
- Thorough About Page
- External links to sources
- Author bylines
Trim Zombie Pages - Backlinko’s phrasing really resonates here. As your website grows, you’ll begin to have outdated blog posts, pages, and old blog tags. Having a few of these pages is fine. More than a few? Get out your chainsaw and start recompiling your content. If you have pages that keep saying the same thing, make a category page or create one long blog posts. Don’t forget to add the redirects.
For more technical tactics, see the original blog post here.
Use Marketpath CMS To Help with SEO
Meta Descriptions - Marketpath CMS features the Meta tag text box on every page. If you've forgotten to enter it or want to make updates, this can be done page by page or with our export and import tools. No matter the situation, you'll make quick work of editing this important SEO field.
Alt tags - with the rise of visual search, thanks to Google Lens and Pinterest, we cannot stress how important it is to make sure your images have Alt tags. Not only should the Alt tag include keywords but is should be easy to understand as screen readers read these words aloud for the visually impaired. Within the CMS management interface, you can quickly look through all the images to see if there are missing or non-sense Alt tags. Need to update one? With as little as three clicks, your change is comitted. Need to see all the images and their Alt tags, run an export. Then, using any spreadsheet software, make your changes and then import the updates.
Getting Started and Staying Committed
Planning is easy. Staying on track is hard. Create SMART goals to be successful with your best year for search engine optimization will be creating SMART goals. Check back every month - the first, the fifteenth, or the end of every month. Whatever works best for you.
Here are a few SMART goals for you to add to your SEO to do list.
- By the end of every month, I will post a blog to our website to assist with SEO.
- By the end of Q1, I will export and update all image Alt tags to optimize our images for visual search.
- By the end of Q2, I will create and personalize my company’s YouTube channel and upload one video that is optimized for SEO and includes a transcript.
- By the end of Q3, I will review our website and compile Zombie Pages into more concise and thorough pieces of content.
- By the end of Q4, I will create a plan for 2021 and pat myself on the back for a job well-done in 2020.
Backlinko: The Definitive Guide To SEO In 2020
Summary Image: Background vector created by freepik - www.freepik.com